Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I have fallen and I can't get out.

It sure did not take long for me to be sucked into the powerful vortex of blogging. I am rapidly learning that there is an exciting new world, a whole blogging culture out there, that I had no idea existed. My dear friend Jacque is a cake buddy of mine from way back. She has a gorgeous baking blog that has opened the floodgates for me. I am now addicted to reading baking and food blogs. One blog links to another, and before you know it, you have spent hours looking at beautiful food pics, saving recipes and reading the wonderful stories that accompany them.

I am also learning that the food photography is just as important as the recipes themselves. The photos on many of these sites rival those seen in magazines. I have wanted to improve my cake photography skills for years now. I have a nice camera my hubby bought me that I have no idea how to use. Well, I have been inspired. I have committed myself to learning how to use my camera properly, and I strive to take quality photos like I see out there on these beautiful blogs. So I have ordered a few books, a couple of DVDs, and am taking an online course now. My main interest is macro (close up) food and cake photography. But I hope to improve my picture taking skills overall.

So the other night I dug up a few cookies in my pantry and clicked a few photos, using the new skills I have learned so far. ( Which is not even the tip of the iceberg.) This a huge learning curve.


One of my favorite cookies, Fig Newtons. Best eaten cold. YUM!

Here is the exact same photo but lightened.
Which do you like better?


And a chocolate biscotti close up. I love the crumbs!


So what do you guys think of my cookie pictures?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------


I got an award !!

It is also a common practice in the blogosphere for people to pass different awards along to blogs that they like. Jacque was so sweet as to bestow the I Love You This Much award upon me. Thank you Jacque, you are the best! I would like to pass it along to the following blogs that I love:

Cakes, Kids, and a Lens: This is the blog of my BFF Heather. She blogs about the 3 big loves of her life: her kids, her cakes, and her photography.

Mata Mania: One of my very best friends on the planet, Carla, writes about her beautiful family. I only wish they didn't live so far away.

Amber's Delectable Delights: Amber shares easy and yummy food recipes that every busy family can enjoy, as well as showcasing her gorgeous photos.

GiGi Cakes: Stunning photos and recipes of delicious baked treats. Also the home of The Cake Slice Baking Club.


So that is it! Another obsession. Or two. Like I needed another one right? Thanks a lot, Jacque. (wink)



-----------------------------------------

Tomorrow I am off to see my video production guys to work on our next release. It is not one of the 2 instructional DVDs we are working on. It is a lagniappe project. Hope to have it ready within the next 2 months. Hmmm.... wonder what it could be? Anybody wanna guess?


Happy caking everyone!

Sharon
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

10 comments:

Heather said...

I won't guess b/c I KNOW what it is!! Thank you so much for the award, now I'm gonna pass it on too!

Gigi said...

Thank you so much for the lovely award! *blushing* Now, it's my turn to give away some love.

sara angel said...

That's so cool that you are learning about photography! And yes, I can relate to the feeling of being sucked in to the food blog world. Good luck with your photo adventures!

Anonymous said...

I like the fig picture before it was lightened.

Those are some really neat pictures! Fun how a simple cookie around the house can make a really cool photo!

Nichicakes said...

Wow the difference from the first fig newton picture to the second one is amazing. In the second you notice all the nooks and crannies of the cookie which in the first are just muddled and boring.

I wonder if there are any fig newtons in the vending machine.... yum!

Mata Family said...

Ohhhh...I know, I know! Can't wait to see the finished product though!! I'm loving those cookie pictures- can't wait to see the next ones! Thank you dear friend for the award!!

priscilla joy said...

hi sharon! i found your blog off of amber's delectable delights. the cookies look great, and photogrpahy is an interest of mine too.

~Amber~ said...

You are too sweet, thank you so much for the award!

Cece said...

I betcha I know! I betcha you are doing it just for me since my skills in this area are famous! OK so skills is very loosely interpreted and the lack of can also be a skill as of the skill of the totally inept....even with great equipment..........

yingboonliang said...

Thank you for sharing this information .Amazing food pictures. If You want to eat delicious food you must visit Best restaurants in Sukhumvit